Florida Lawyer Earns $3.6 Million Verdict for IVC Filter Victim

Joseph R. Johnson from Babbitt & Johnson P.A. in West Palm Beach, Florida, helps a victim get a $3.6 million verdict involving vascular filters

West Palm Beach, FL – Joseph R. Johnson, trial lawyer in West Palm Beach, Florida, helped attain a $3.6 million verdict for an IVC filter victim, alleging a Bard G2 filter (a clot-stopping vein filter) broke apart in her body.

According to an article in Law360, “The jury attributed 20 percent of the fault to a radiologist who failed to flag a visibly separated filter piece on an X-ray in 2009, before Booker’s injuries developed to the point where she needed open-heart surgery. The other 80 percent was attributable to C.R. Bard.”

IVC filters are medical devices implanted in the largest vein in the body (vena cava) to presumably prevent life-threatening pulmonary emboli. However, according to Daily Business Review, mounting lawsuits claim design defects endanger patients by making the filters prone to tilt, perforate through the vena cava, penetrate nearby vital organs, fracture and migrate through the bloodstream.

“This was a human experiment that went terribly wrong. Bard put this filter in the market without any safety testing and used real people in the real world as their experiment,” Johnson says.

Johnson is a Board Certified Civil Trial Lawyer, who has successfully handled a wide range of product liability, consumer protection, defective medical device, and commercial litigation, as well as medical malpractice and other personal injury cases. His work has earned him recognition from Super Lawyers and Best Lawyers for years.

To learn more about Joseph R. Johnson, click here. To learn more about Babbitt and Johnson P.A., click here.

About Babbitt & Johnson P.A.
Since 1967, the law firm of Babbitt & Johnson P.A., in West Palm Beach, Florida has been seeking justice for its clients against people and businesses whose negligent behavior has caused serious injury. Babbitt & Johnson P.A., was the first law firm in Palm Beach County to win a million-dollar verdict. To find out more about how Babbitt & Johnson P.A. can help, visit http://www.babbitt-johnson.com or call (561) 375-2841.