Medical errors are more common than one might think; the numbers are shocking. A study done in 1999 by the Institute of Medicine estimated that medical errors in hospitals result in up to 98,000 deaths due to medical errors. A 2013 study done by Journal of Patients Safety stated, “premature deaths associated with preventable harm to patients was estimated at more than 400,000 per year”. Medical malpractice, unfortunately, takes many forms. Some examples include:
- Failure or delay in diagnosing a medical condition (or misdiagnosing it)
- Surgical- or anesthesia-related mishap during an operation
- Failure to disclose to the patient the risks associated with a procedure – so that ‘informed consent’ is never obtained
- Failure to manage a pregnancy or deliver a baby in a safe manner
- Failure to properly treat a medical condition after making a correct diagnosis
Failure to administer medications properly
These mistakes can cause birth trauma, brain injury, paralysis, amputation, disability, and disfigurement. The injuries are often permanent – and, in some cases, result in death.
Victims of medical malpractice and their families can seek compensation for their injuries. This is accountability for mistakes. Medical malpractice litigation is complicated- plaintiffs who don’t carefully select the right medical malpractice lawyer might find that their lawyers can make mistakes as easily as their doctors did.
It is essential to choose a medical malpractice law firm that isn’t just knowledgeable in medical malpractice law, but has a reputation for experience and a record of success. For more than 45 years, Babbitt & Johnson P.A. has aggressively represented victims of medical malpractice.
If you or someone you care about has been injured due to medical negligence, contact our experienced Medical Malpractice Lawyers. We’ve been representing victims since 1967.