People take vitamins for their natural health benefits – not necessarily to change their hormone chemistry. Yet that is exactly what happened to consumers who took Purity First vitamin supplements. Forbes drug, education and science contributor David Kroll, wrote an article titled, “Why Bodybuilding Steroids Do Not Belong in Vitamins“, that highlights the Federal Drug Administration (FDA) voluntary recall of specific lots of Purity First Health Products for traces of anabolic steroids.
On July 31, 2013 the FDA sent out a press release announcing the voluntary recall of specific lots of the following Purity First Health Products marketed as Dietary Supplements for their potential health risk:
- Healthy Life Chemistry B-50 – 100 capsule bottles, lot numbers F03Q and C02R
- Multi-Mineral, 200 capsule bottles, lot number 12-829
- Vitamin C, 200 capsule bottles, lot number E03Q
According to Kroll, the FDA found the tainted vitamins to contain two anabolic steroid drugs; one, methasterone, regulated as a Schedule III controlled substance; the other, dimethazine, can be metabolized to generate two molecules of a methasterone derivative.
It appears the first person to report his findings to the FDA back in February was Dr. Ken Spaeth, occupational and environmental medicine director at North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health System. Spaeth deduced that 20 patients between ages 12 and 75 exhibited symptoms of anabolic steroid consumption after taking the vitamin B supplements.
The problems for Purity First didn’t just stop there.
Kroll reports that the FDA announced finding a synthetic version of testosterone (another steroid) in two other Healthy Life Chemistry by Purity First products: Multi-Mineral and Vitamin C capsules. In August, Purity First then initiated a nationwide recall of all three of these products.
Important health information to know about Purity First vitamin supplements:
- The FDA states that the risk factors of the contaminated B-50, Multi-Mineral and Vitamin C capsules could result in the following adverse events: liver injury, increased blood lipid levels, increased risk of heart attack and stroke, masculinization of women, shrinkage of the testicles, breast enlargement, infertility in males, and short stature in children. Also mentioned was fatigue, muscle cramping, and myalgia.
- Purity First Health Products were distributed Nationwide via the internet and through retail stores between July 2012 thru June 2013.
- The FDA is urging consumers of Purity First products to immediately discontinue their use of this product and return it to the place of purchase.
If you or someone you know needs legal support regarding the Purity First FDA recall, contact our West Palm Beach personal injury attorneys for a free consultation and case evaluation.